Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Am I Bragging? Conversational Positivity

As potentially one of the least politically correct people I know, I often have a hard time finding the line between what is okay to discuss and, most importantly, how to discuss it. 

It seems that in society, even among the best of friends, talking about negative things is always okay (as long as you don't overdo it, of course, because then you're a whiner, a Debbie Downer). Upset with a boss? Bitch about it over cocktails. Frustrated with endless piles of work? By all means, we're here for you. Co-workers suck? Tiptoeing around silly office politics? Complete lack of accountability in others? Let it out, folks. 

But what about the truly good things? What about when good things happen and you're excited and want to share? What about when your efforts are commended, or you are given recognition and praise? What about when things are simply going well and you want to talk about that? The line gets fuzzy.

You think: well, can I just come out and say, "I got an award today!"? You think: am I going to look like a complete bragging ass for talking about how good things are going? You think: is it okay to be this visibly excited? 

Talking about and sharing good things, positive things is almost always harder than negative things. After all, think about your role as a responder to these instances: someone says "I had the WORST day today, I couldn't get a hold of anyone so 'x' project was delayed and then my co-worker completely dropped the ball on 'y' and of course my boss won't say anything or intervene. Then, I had to deal with this rude customer who all but insulted my intelligence and insisted to talk to my supervisor, despite my assurance that I was a supervisor. I feel so unappreciated and I just don't know what to do - there are only so many hours in a day!" 

via

This, you think, is easy to react to: sympathy. Empathy. Words of encouragement. Maybe tidbits of advice, suggesting that she have one-on-one time with her boss and calmly explain the sources of frustration. Offer to take her out for lunch or happy hour and make her feel better, give her a safe space to vent. 

Believe me, I have needed exactly that reaction countless times in my life. My last position and employer was pretty terrible and my misery and anxiety levels were through the roof. I am so fortunate to have a myriad of great friends (and a great husband, of course) who would listen, who would offer support, who would be patient as I worked through my grumpiness, who would do everything necessary and really, truly try to make me feel better - and often times, they did. 


I'm not saying I'm unappreciative of those times or those people - quite the opposite. I am, however, saying that it's so much harder to broach sharing positive things. I'm still fortunately surrounded by supportive and caring people but with the exception of Jon, I felt compelled to ask if I could share good news with multiple people, or disclaimer it first. Granted, this particular exciting instance pertained to money, which is a whole other brag/not brag issue, but I really just wanted to share excitement.

"Is it okay to discuss things like raises and bonuses?" 

"I know it's not really acceptable to talk about money with others but I DGAF about social constructs." 

"Can I share good news with you?"

All things I found myself saying before sharing positive things that happened to me recently. Even if money weren't in the picture, I'm still pretty concerned about coming off as a snob or a bragger when sharing good news. 

Jon and I went to lunch recently with people we hadn't seen in a while. We were asked, "what's new and exciting with you guys?" I didn't even think to share my recent positive happenings - it didn't even cross my mind. I was ready to shrug and say, "nothing really exciting, just work and stuff," but Jon said, "Steph recently got a raise and a bonus. She's only been there since September." That opened the door to a new conversation, one about work, what exactly I do, what the company does - stuff I could honestly talk about for forever. My co-worker likes to joke that we're drinking the Kool-Aid and it's true: I'm all in when it comes to work. 

But even with that, even with Jon laying the groundwork on my/our behalf, there are questions to be asked. Is it only okay to share good news when someone else does it for you? Is it only okay to be publically, grinningly excited about things of this nature when it's introduced by someone else? What is the proper way to say, "I did this one thing, it went really well and I've gotten tons of recognition for it. It even led to this new avenue and now I'm involved in x, y and z because of it!"? I'm sure there is also a discussion in there about a man saying it on behalf of a woman, or whether or not it's because I'm a woman that I feel and think this way - but that's not one I want to get into, not now, anyway.

For my part, I hope that I encourage those in my life to share good things with me. I'm a pretty big, loud, sometimes pushy personality, so I have no qualms asking specifics questions and digging deep. In fact, I recently gave one of my best friends shit for not keeping me posted on something she was pursuing that had worked in her favor. "Why didn't you tell me, you weirdo?! I'm so excited for you!" When people share good news, I try to always be excited - I do a lot of "EEEEEEEE!" And "YAY!" In person, I'm happy to buy a round (or two. . .or more. . .) of shots and make oodles of toasts in their honor. Good news deserves celebration - no matter what it is! Work-related, finance-related, home-related, family-related, whatever: if there's one thing I've learned from reading theSkimm every day, it's that there is enough in this world to be sad, concerned, angry and/or frustrated with - happiness of any nature deserves attention.

I don't know what the answer is to any of the questions I've posed, really. Maybe there isn't one. Maybe this entire post can be interpreted as me passively aggressively bragging - who knows? I know that I think, overthink and re-think most things and when it comes to positivity, I'm a little frustrated with the process. And hey, if anyone starts to get snobby or annoying about his/her happiness, let's just call the person out and move on to happiness in other aspects.

Feel free to share with me friends: what's something AMAZING that happened to you recently?! Share your good news, talk about what's recently had you excited! Call this a safe space for all things awesome. I'm ready. 

8 comments :

  1. I just wanted to say that you can always share these exciting things with me because I love you and your accomplishments feel a tiny bit like my accomplishments, because I'm happiest when my friends are happy <3 - Victoria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Vic. <3 I feel similarly: other people I care about being happy influences my happiness!

      Delete
  2. Sharing happy news with mere acquaintances can get into some awkward territory, but I think sharing good news of any sort with true friends is no question: do it! They love you, they want the best for you, they'll be happy for you. And if they're not, well, that's on them! (With a few notable, situation-specific exceptions, of course.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally see your point. . .I also think, though, that sometimes it's hard with the true friends because of how 'true' the relationship is. Sticking with the work example, if you just got a raise and a promotion but you know your best friend is absolutely miserable at work and you tell her, you risk causing her some inner turmoil (and/or, depending on the friend's personality, frustration being taken out on you). Whereas if you're telling more of an acquaintance, maybe you don't know each other's EXACT situations so you're able to just share news freely because you're distant enough that one doesn't affect the other. Of course, too much traveling along this thought path can easily lead into "Walking On Eggshells" territory. Like I said, lots of questions, but no real answers.

      Delete
  3. This is a really interesting topic. I feel like we live in a "misery loves company" society, and where sharing good news can come off braggy or like you are looking for attention -- which is sad! I'm definitely guilty of prefacing good news with, "Have to brag" or "Gotta AW [attention whore] for a minute." Why should good, positive things be prefaced by anything?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, ABSOLUTELY on the Misery Loves Company - great point. I also forgot about the Attention Whore disclaimer(s). Why does attention have to be synonymous with whoring? Why does it have to be a bad thing? If one deserves it, whether of the sympathetic or congratulatory nature, why shouldn't one get it? Oy.

      Delete
  4. Love all this positivity! This is a great reminder to share the goodness of life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cici! I think so, too - Jennifer made a point that your friends and true loved ones will want to know and will care, so if we all just took active steps toward sharing without being over-prideful, I think it'd make for a lot happier society!

      Delete