Friday, January 2, 2015

Here, There and Everywhere: Happy 2015!

Back at work for the sneaky Friday that 2015 managed to wedge into what should really have been a nice, long weekend? Don't worry: I'm here for you.

  • I'm a little late in my discovery of this, but better late than never, right? Dee Williams of Olympia, Washington resides in a home that totals 84 square feet. Yes: 84 total square feet. For those of us looking to downsize in 2015, she's either an inspiration or an intimidation.

image via Amazon, copyright of Putnam Adult
  • Linda Tirado offers an interesting perspective of what it's like to be poor in today's America. Saving money costs money. This is something that I grapple with often: it'd be great to invest in the more-expensive-but-better-quality item and sure, in the long run it'd be beneficial, but sometimes you just don't have that extra amount in the Right Now.
  • Those who know me know that I love little more than people being friends. I love when people I love have a connection. It's part of why I love guys like Adam Sandler and Judd Apatow and why I'm drawn to their films. All of this to say: Kelly Clarkson went to see Britney Spears' show in Vegas and I just about died. 

  • Google is freakin' amazing, if you didn't know that already, and put together a lookback at 2014 in terms of searches and web trends. Everything from chia vs. kale and Ellen's Oscar selfie is covered in this amazing corner of the internet. 
  • True Fact: I love pop culture. I'd say it's a defining characteristic. The AV Club is my all time favorite website because they are all about pop culture. There are reviews and news articles, all written with a certain tone that speaks right to me. As they do every year, they came up with the best television shows of 2014: part one is dedicated to numbers 35 through 11 and part two is dedicated to the Top Ten. What I learned from these lists: my TV game is ultimate suckage. I am beyond behind and I blame watching SVU every time it's on USA as well as turning to Nick at Nite before bed. I need to get it together and have already started doing so: currently watching The Affair (ranked #23). Bonus: I get to see Pacey's bum. Swoonies.
  • Also from the friends at The AV Club: quirky society figures like Weird Al Yankovic and Mara Wilson ranked their favorite pop culture of 2014.
 
image via Keith Hodan of Trib Total Media
  • Pittsburgh's version of the Polar Bear Plunge involves freezing temperatures in one of our famed three rivers. According to local news, about 700 people participated this morning. Believe it or not, I think I might want to adopt this tradition for Jon and I as well. We'll see if I remember this January 1, 2016 - but as I mentioned in my resolutions post, when I put things to words, it gives them life, so even though my finger is hovering over the delete key, I'm keeping it here. Early morning 2016 will involve freezing laughter with a bunch of strangers. Eepies.
Anything keeping your attention this Friday? Feel free to share and discuss - we're all in this together!


2 comments :

  1. Those tiny houses (and housers) are incredible but I don't think I could or would want to go that small, but it's amazing how much they optimize their small spaces. There's a documentary on Netflix you might want to watch about a guy building his own tiny house. I think it's just called Tiny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, thank you for the recommendation! I might settle in and watch it tonight. I don't think I could go that small, either (yikes!) but it's nice inspiration.

      Delete