Wednesday, January 21, 2015

ipsy Review: January Glam Bag

New month, new shiny pink envelope! Wee! 

Like last month, I was SO excited to come home to my new haul (bonus: it came a day early!). Also like last month, I totally posted slightly annoying shit to my Facebook in order to get the Sneak Peek so that I knew what was coming. 

Despite that, I was surprised at the size of the items - in a pleasant way. 

Steeling Stephanie: ipsy Review - January Glam Bag #FreshStart
From left: LaFresh Eco-Beauty Be Good. Good Day. Day Moisturizer. (Malin & Goetz) Mojito Lip Balm. Manna Kadar Cosmetics Sheer Glo. Hikari Cosmetics Mechanical Eye Liner in Smoke. Pacifica Natural Mineral Coconut Eye Shadow.

Perhaps it comes as no surprise that I was all about the Fresh Start theme to this month's bag - after all, I specifically mentioned wanting to focus on my skin. Having seen some of the other items that were sent and having used these items for a little over a month, I definitely think I won the ipsy lottery this month.




Steeling Stephanie: ipsy Review - January Glam Bag #FreshStart


The LaFresh Eco-Beauty Be Good. Good Day. Day Moisturizer. is actually a little disappointing. First thing worth mentioning is that it has a funky smell. For me, if my face cream must smell, I prefer that salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide smell - like I am going to do something, so let me at it. This is more like it tried to be super fresh and full of healthy, organic ingredients and they somehow mixed together to smell like plastic. Aside from the smell, it applies thinner than I am used to for a cream however maybe that's why it's specified as 'day' moisturizer? It does moisturize my skin, something I was beginning to struggle with (freakin' winter: what good do you do?!), so I'm appreciative of that as well as its size. Still not my favorite product and not one I'd purchase, but it wasn't bad.

So, the (Malin + Goetz) Mojito Lip Balm initially elicited a lackluster reaction but that's because I've been all about that lip color lately. Despite its lack of tint, it does have a very pretty sheen to it without having that sticky/gooey feeling that most lip balms of this nature have. I absolutely have no clue where the 'mojito' descriptor originates. . .there is no smell, no taste, nada, associated with this product. This is a great fit for mornings or at work, I think, when you don't want to worry about needing a mirror to re-apply or losing some color. It's quick and easy.

Manna Kadar Cosmetics Sheer Glo was a surprise for me. The description reads as though it is a neutral or glow-y colored highlighter but it's actually a very pretty, shimmery pink. I use it as a full out blush and cover the circular area of my cheeks as well as my cheekbones, over my bronzer. This is my second favorite product in January's glam bag and I am going to be crushed when it's gone. Rest assured this will be a every-last-drop squeezer. 

The Hikari Cosmetics Mechnical Eye Liner in Smoke was a dud. I love mechanical eye liners (although I primarily use this liquid eye liner by CoverGirl) so I was excited to try a new one but ugh. I can't tell if it is the color or the make up of the makeup but the application is terrible! I feel like I'm going to break it every time I go to use it and that is partially because I have to go back and forth repeatedly to get any kind of definition or use out of it on my top lid. It's okay as an under eye/bottom lid liner, just for a dusting, but on the top? Forget it. 

And my favorite, my baby, my Pacifica Natural Mineral Coconut Eye Shadow. I am already a huge fan of pretty brown eyeshadow colors and am therefore biased but man, oh man, does this shadow rock. The application? Smooth, even, beautiful. The color? A perfect bronze-y with different elements. The wear and last? AMAZING. Oh, I want to buy so much of this, so many of the colors - it's just fabulous. 

Steeling Stephanie: ipsy Review - January Glam Bag #FreshStart
Personal photos: the one on the left is from our trip back to our hometown on Saturday and the two on the right were taken in stealth mode. For what it's worth, I promise the pursed lips in the bottom right picture are to provide a focus for the Sheer Glo product on my cheeks. ;) 

Yet again, ipsy won it for me. Even though I was less pleased over all than last month, I am still so happy and excited with the idea. Plus, the $10 price tag has remained so super worth it.

Have any of you tried any of the products featured in this month's ipsy Glam Bag? Have you tried other new products recently? 

2 comments :

  1. That Sheer Glow looks amazing on you- super luminescent!

    ReplyDelete